The rate at which donations are coming in have slowed down, but I'm still getting at least one donation a day which I am very grateful for. Based on the latest data, the projected date for achieving my campaign target has been moved back 2 days to 30 November 2015.
The value of a Tweet
(If you are one of the anonymous donors and disagree with this assumption, feel free to correct me in the comments below.)
This means that almost 10% of my donations have come from Twitter.
- Tweet This: http://deb.bi/ValueofaDonor-Tweet-This
Who exactly are my Twitter followers?
- 2x more likely to have a net worth of >$1M
- 2X more likely to have gone to grad school
- 2X more likely to have a home value greater than $500,000
- If you look at average household income, there is only a 5% difference between my followers and all of Twitter for the highest income category
- My guess is that comparative Twitter audience insights are based on US data only
- Most of my US followers are Silicon Valley Startup / Entrepreneur / VC / Investor tweeps (inferred using Wireless Carrier AT&T, interests, lifestyle)
- This is in line with a bio search using Social Rank and Followerwonk, though i can't estimate the total number
- For those category of Tweeps, net worth comes from stocks or carry and not from average household income
Compared to the overall Twitter community, my followers are also:
- 20% more likely to buy premium brands
- 13% more likely to lead natural living + fresh and healthy lifestyles (I bet they're from California!)
- 8% more likely to be Kosher (New Yorkers!)
- 6% more likely to be vegetarian and 4% more likely to be dairy free (OK that's smells like LA)
- Most of them don't do mundane things like buy eggs or milk and it appears that they're less likely to buy soap either (does shower-gel count? Who uses soap??)
- But I'm very proud to report that my followers are likely to have good teeth, as they have have excellent oral hygiene habits (17% more likely to buy oral care). You can tweet this.: http://deb.bi/FollowerInsights-Tweet-This
But how accurate is Twitter Audience Insights?
- Many people do not report their location
- I've noticed on a number of occasions that the default Twitter settings for location and time zone are wrong (yes I have 11 Twitter accounts, 8 of which I actively use for experiments, clearer social listening... e.g. @littlecodersSG is the one I use to track what's happening with Kids Coding around the world; @giftedSGP is one I use to listen to gtchats or edtech chats)
I've also noticed substantial discrepancies between what Twitter, SocialBro and Klear report. For USA followers:
- Twitter reports 40%
- Social Bro reports 30%
- Klear reports 56%
2. My initial hypothesis was that looking at Twitter's Audience Insights on Wireless Carriers should give you a more accurate picture: Based on that (see Chart below):
- 63% of my Twitter followers use US cell phones (versus the 40% reported in the first column, Country)
- 19% use UK mobile phones versus the 10% reported in Country
- 12% use SG mobile phones versus the 7% reported in Country
- 5% use Airtel which is India
3. If you add it up, that's 99% of my followers which does not make sense either
- Could be that Twitter counts anyone under the T-Mobile Group or the Singtel Group under Wireless Carriers. I asked Twitter but no response - anyone know the answer?
4. Even something as basic as Gender has substantial differences:
- Twitter reports 75% Male vs 25% Female
- SocialBro reports 67% Male vs 33% Female (leaving out Unknowns)
- Klear reports 59% vs 41% Female
(BTW, Klear- care to give me a free upgrade or a View of my Demographics to add to this analysis?) :)
Twitter follower growth
Using SocialBro's Benchmarking tool (which ROCKS!), compared to Social Media and Marketing Tweeps who I assume are the most sophisticated Twitter users, I'm listed 206 times, vs an average of 9 and I have a much higher growth trajectory. :)
Using Followerwonk's Comparison of Users tool, you can see that there's almost no overlap in my 3 user accounts. If you add up all my Twitter accounts, I have a total unique Twitter audience size of 4,809. And you should see my latest one which has been listed over 500 times. :p)
Wanna know my secrets?
Make a donation and I'll reveal as much as your donation is worth.. LOL! (And don't bring the Twitter average down :p)
P.S. For the Tweeps that have read this already (and thanks for Clicking to Tweet!), I've updated the click links. After painstakingly adding links to every single individual component of my Tweet This graphic on Canva, I realised that it doesn't work when pasted into Weebly's blog, though I have added a link to the graphic so you can click on that.
Also Add SumoMe's Share Image Plugin would love comments on whether you like it or not