5 days into the campaign. So far, $3,530 raised from 16 supporters from 8 countries (added the counter in the Supporters page, though it's not mobile friendly).
Countries (in order of funds raised)
$3,530 in 5 days has exceeded my wildest expectations. Following Classy.Org's fundraising guide (which is brilliant btw), I made a spreadsheet of all my Facebook friends (>1K), Twitter followers (2K), LinkedIn connections (>1K), and calculated a low, base and high case. They suggest a 3% conversion rate. Even in my high case, I would only get to US$20,000 which means I would need to be able to tap outside of my network. I also gave myself 12 months to raise the US$25,000 but at this rate, maybe I need to set myself a more challenging goal. I clearly underestimated how generous my friends are.
Wharton is clearly missing - time for a reach out post. Need to hit my UK friends up as well.
In terms of social media channels, Facebook is clearly a winner, but that's where all my friends are so I'm not surprised. My Facebook page can be found on https://www.facebook.com/debbiediscoversPoP
Am hopeful about Twitter - I have had some success with Twitter to date. I grew my Twitter following by more than 1,000 in 2 weeks, got Guy Kawasaki to reply to my Tweet (hah that's my claim to fame, you try getting him to reply to YOUR tweet) and my Twitter bot has been listed 570 times with 300 followers just by strategic, automated tweeting. I have lots of Twitter tricks that I've created to manage 9 Twitter accounts (all for fun) so have to figure out how I share my Twitter tricks to get attract more followers to this campaign.
My first Twitter ask was to tap on an old Twitter conversation about Warren Buffett that got good engagement. Using a Buffett quote "If you're the luckiest 1% of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the remaining 99%", I asked those who engaged on the tweet to visit my website and within 10 minutes, I had my first Twitter donor, Andrew Coppin, angel investor and venture capitalist from Sydney Australia! Thank you again Andrew!
LinkedIn is also definitely on the cards. Facebook and Twitter followers have virtually no overlap. With LinkedIn and Facebook, I estimate about 50% overlap so there are another ~500 contacts that I can tap on. Will need to write a good LinkedIn post.
My Instagram strategy is based on a webinar I attended with Foundr's CEO Nathan Chan last week. Nathan managed to grow his Instagram followers by 110 in 5 months, so definitely worth following his tips. I have my branded campaign hashtag (#debbiediscoversPoP), am maxing out on the hashtags in the comments portion and am following as many people as I can within the Instagram hourly limits. Not sure if I'll get any donations from Instagram. I also have a Tumblr page (mainly for my campaign gifs, but have some ideas about what else I can do with it).
Finally, my big day is coming up in 2 days! Am excited not because it's my birthday but because I can't wait to see how my campaign will do as a result. Let's see how it goes! Thanks everyone for the support to date, and stay tuned for more campaign updates!
This is a simple blog to track my fundraising activities and to keep family, friends and supporters updated on my progress.